Subject: Re: Installation problems on Sun 3/80
To: Scott Johnston <johnston@mit.edu>
From: marsmellow <md4mars@mdstud.chalmers.se>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/09/1998 16:07:34
On Wed, 9 Sep 1998, Scott Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Jeremy Cooper wrote:
>
> > Just so you don't have to go find it:
> >
> > [port-sun3x]
> >
> >   The RAMDISK kernel used during the install process (netbsd-rd.gz)
> >   is missing a section of code which allows it to automatically detect
> >   that it has an embedded filesystem.  At boot, it will fail to find the
> >   ``md0'' device on its own (which contains the filesystem) and will
> >   prompt for the name of a different device to query.  The default,
> >   ``le0'', is incorrect and if chosen, will cause the machine to hang.
> >   Instead, enter ``md0'' and the boot process will continue as normal.
> >   (You will be prompted for the dump device and filesystem type as
> >   well.  Select the default in both cases.)

oops.. forgot to say that when i booted with root:le0 filesystem:nfs i had
already unpacked the base and etc sets in the remote root.
it allowed me to run edlabel on the local disk as well as copying the
miniroot to the local swap, after which i no longer needed the remote fs.

/martin

  "Reality is only a special case of possibilities"
  -- I. Prigogine