Subject: Re: 3/80 ROM Monitor (was QIC tape questions)
To: Pete Plank <plankp@kic.or.jp>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/30/1997 00:35:16
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Pete Plank wrote:

> [ Using NetBSD/sun3x ]
> First, is there a quick way to enter the ROM monitor without doing a HALT or
> SHUTDOWN? I heard there is a key combination that will bring you into the
> ROM monitor but I don't have any documentation on this.

As David Brownlee wrote, you can either press L1+A (The L1 key is labeled
'STOP' nowadays), or you can send a serial break if you are using a serial
port as a console.  However, if you are using the GENERIC sun3x kernel,
this operation won't drop you into the ROM monitor immediately.  Instead
you will be at a DDB prompt (db>).  To get to the ROM from here, type
``mach abort''.  Type 'c' once to get back into DDB, and 'c' again to
resume the kernel.

-J