Subject: Re: trouble with keyboard on X11R6.3
To: None <yug@occam.ts.kiev.ua>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/16/1997 06:42:53
As someone who regularly uses X with type-3 keyboards on NetBSD/sun3....

> Thank You for precompiled X11R6.3 binaries for sun3.
> This is great job, but I have some small trobles with keyboard and
> XKB-server.  Doesn't work autorepeat on any key.

You need a server built with

#define XkbServerDefines -DXKB_ALWAYS_USES_SOFT_REPEAT

in NetBSD.cf, or equivalent.  Ian?

> Second trouble is more complicated. X server doesn't find
> xkb-defenition for sun(type3) keyboard.

This is ignorable.  I imagine there is a server option to tell it to
not attempt the xkb stuff, which should shut off the noise message;
personally I just live with a few lines of noise every time I start the
server.

> Xmodmap works very strange.  I live in Ukraine(ex-USSR) and I need
> two languages - English and Russian.  But my Xmodmap doesn't work.

I have had no trouble with xmodmap, but admittedly I have never tried
putting Cyrillic keysyms on the keyboard.  What sort of misbehavior do
you see?  "doesn't work" can cover anything from "does nothing" to
"xmodmap coredumps" to "server crashes when xmodmap runs" to "server
crashes when I try to use those keys" to "xmodmap prints a fatal error"
to "I get Greek keysyms instead".

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca