Subject: Re: Pre-compiled libkvm & utilities now available for sun3x
To: Bob Beck <beck@obtuse.com>
From: Jeremy Cooper <jeremy@broder.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/12/1997 18:09:39
On Sat, 12 Apr 1997, Bob Beck wrote:

> 	Somewhat off-topic, but all my 3/80's are floppyless.  I wouldn't mind putting
> a floppy drive in one or two.  Anyone know what works in them (aside from genuine sun?)

I'm not completely sure myself.  My 3/80 was also without a floppy for a
long time.  I thought that maybe I could use a PC drive, but when you
bring it close to the motherboard, you soon realize that it doesn't have
enough pins.

In the process of porting the driver however, I did learn alot about the
chip.  It is the same chip used in the IBM-PC AT, which is based on the
'standard' NEC765 floppy crontroller.  There's a little more to the drive
interface than just this chip however.  There is a specially crafted
register in the sun3x that deals with starting up the drive motor and
asserting the eject pin.  It's possible that the extra pins in the
motherboard header could be dedicated just to these functions.  If
anyone's willing to experiment, I'd be willing to modify the driver to
support a hardware hack.

-J