Subject: Re: scsi problem
To: Ari Rubenstein <arubenstein@staff.portal.ca>
From: Neil McNeight <mcneight@umich.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 04/09/1997 19:04:04
I'm getting a similar error when backing up a large directory to tape:

st0(si0:4:0): soft error (corrected), data = 00 00 00
panic: done < 0; strategy broken
Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
db>

This was after using a tar -cvp /usr/local/src to back up the directory to
tape. I don't think it's heat related since the error occured even after I
had the system down for a few hours to clean dust out of the shoebox. I
can also feel air moving out the bottom of the unit and it isn't
obstructed as far as I can tell.

All of this is happening on a 3/50 with 4M RAM and a 32M swap partition
(I'm planning to move up to a 3/60 without repartitioning the drive).

Any ideas? Need more information?

-Neil

On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, Ari Rubenstein wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997 g@kurico.com wrote:
>
> > I get the following panic when doing something that causes a lot of
> > file io:
> >
> > SD0(si 0:0:0):command aborted, data = 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
> > panic: ncr5380_scsi_cmd: polled request, abort failed
> > stopped at -Debugger + 0x6: unlk a6
> >
> > This is very sporadic.  The system can stay up for weeks and then
> > suddenly die.  Or like tonight while moving/copying some >5MB files
> > it happened 4 times.
> >
> > Any clues?
> >

> I had this problem when I first got my 3/60, as a result of a broken fan
> in the pizza-box.  I would check to make sure this isn't heat related.

"In spite of everything, I still believe  | Neil McNeight
 that people are really good at heart."   | mcneight@umich.edu
                        -Anne Frank       | PGP key available