Subject: Re: Netbooting Sun3 w/Linux?
To: John Carr <jcarr@rust.net>
From: Henry W Miller <mill0440@gold.tc.umn.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 03/28/1997 21:03:16
On Fri, 28 Mar 1997, John Carr wrote:

> This is most likely the wrong list to post this, but I have a quick
> question...
>
> I'm having a little trouble getting everything together to netboot my
> Sun3... The HD died and I have a new one that needs a fresh install... never
> had to do a netboot before with linux, and I'm not having much luck...
>
> In order for rpc.bootparamd to run, it requires
> /usr/include/rpcsvc/bootparam_prot.x from a SunOS box. I can find the
> sources to rpc.bootparamd that I can futz with to get it to run under linux,
> but I don't have access to bootparam_prot.x. Is there some way around this?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance...

getting bootparam to compile in linux is very difficult.  Someone did it
at one time, and I ftped a compiled version from his machine.  find
someone who has compiled it, or prepare to do a lot of source code
editing.  (how much I dont' know)
I don't have an ftp server (at least not one on a static ip), but if you
can get it from the we, and want elf binaries, try
http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/g639/mill0440/exec/bootparamd
Or I'll (privatly) e-mail it to you.