Subject: Re: multiple CPU cage?
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
From: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/19/1996 00:16:55
>> Date:	Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:09:43 -0600 (CST)
>> From:	Peter Seebach <seebs@solon.com>
>> Subject: multiple CPU cage?

>> I'm told someone on this list may have put a few CPU's in a VME card cage=
=2E
>> I've disemboweled my spare 3/160, and I'm putting a 4/110, and later also
>> a 3/60, in it.  Any caveats?  Anything particularly suicidal I'm likely
>> to do if I'm not warned?

>> All I have left to do for the /110 to be (in theory) bootable now is take
>> the wiring harness from its original box, and connect the voltage pins
>>from it
>> to the card cage's power plug-in.  No problem!  :)

I have a friend who, for a time, ran a 3/200 series 12-slot VME cabinet
with four CPUs in it. The actual organization of that backplane, according
to my friend, is that there are two VME busses, and two non-bus slots with
just power (interconnection jumpers to remove?). So, he stuffed it with
CPUs (4/330's, I believe). The only communication between the CPUs was
Ethernet - no two CPUs were on the same VME bus.

I'm sure you'd want to make sure that the power supply that you feed that
box with can supply all the power that such a configuration can suck down,
and make sure the fans always work...

	Erik