Subject: Re: problem with Xkernel
To: None <9405595y@ntx.city.unisa.edu.au>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/18/1996 10:26:07
> From: 9405595y@ntx.city.unisa.edu.au (9405595y)
> Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 16:17:22 +1030 (GMT+10:30)

>  Hi! A while ago I bought 4 sun 3/50's (with no keyboards or mice), and
> now I'm trying to get them working.
>
> Due to the lack of kbds & mice, I was going to try and boot them with
> NetBSD off my linux box, and use them for some kind of server, but
> everything I've read said to get Xkernel working first.

Well, the advice to install Xkernel first is incomplete.  All you
really need to do is install working RARP and Bootparams daemons
on your linux box (as well as NFS of course).  Most linux users
find it easiest to grab those items out of the Xkernel package.

That's all you need from Xkerel.  There is no need to actually
boot Xkernel, so there is no need to bother setting up the root
partition for the Xkernel client.  Instead, just setup the root
partition with NetBSD/sun3 and skip the other Xkernel stuff.

> So far, I've got it to get to the point set out below. (All other output
> is as in the Xkernel docs)
>
> (Lots of msgs)
>
> SunOS Release 4.1.1 (DEATHROCK) #5: Tue Feb 10 12:15:14 MST 1994

As you may have noticed, Xkernel is just a stripped-down copy of
SunOS with some server support programs...

> Watchdog Reset!

Who knows...  Could be a SunOS problem, or bad RAM, or ...

> I've had a couple of attempts to boot the netbsd-rd kernel, and that gives
> a warning about there being no swap, displays the "welcome" message, and
> stops. There is no prompt generated, and if I type "cat ./welcome",
> nothing happens

What did it say the console was in the first line of kernel startup?

You may need to change the EEPROM console setting.