Subject: problem with Xkernel
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: 9405595y <9405595y@ntx.city.unisa.edu.au>
List: port-sun3
Date: 11/17/1996 16:17:22
 Hi! A while ago I bought 4 sun 3/50's (with no keyboards or mice), and
now I'm trying to get them working.

Due to the lack of kbds & mice, I was going to try and boot them with
NetBSD off my linux box, and use them for some kind of server, but
everything I've read said to get Xkernel working first.

So far, I've got it to get to the point set out below. (All other output
is as in the Xkernel docs)

(Lots of msgs)

SunOS Release 4.1.1 (DEATHROCK) #5: Tue Feb 10 12:15:14 MST 1994
(assorted msgs about memory, ethernet & hardware)
hostname: xhost
domainname: (none)
root on nix:/usr/export/root/Xkernel.sun3 fstype nfs
swap on ns0b fstype spec size 3240K
dump on ns0b fstype spec size 3216K

Watchdog Reset!

I'm running Linux 1.1.59 (yeah, it's old, but I haven't had any
problems... I'l upgrade soon) and all the network code is from the
Linux_Xkernel-2.0d package.

I've had a couple of attempts to boot the netbsd-rd kernel, and that gives
a warning about there being no swap, displays the "welcome" message, and
stops. There is no prompt generated, and if I type "cat ./welcome",
nothing happens

I've also tried the netbsd-gen kernel, and that gets to "Init SWAP" (can't
remeber the exact messaage) and then stops and gives me what I assume is a
kernel debugging prompt.

I've tried putting a "swap=nix:/usr/export/swap" into the /etc/bootparams,
but the makes no difference.

Does anyone know what I've done wrong?

Nick Lothian
9405595y@ntx.city.unisa.edu.au