Subject: Re: Pricing...
To: Julian Bean <jules@mailbox.co.uk>
From: Ethan Gold <etgold@cs.vassar.edu>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/24/1996 19:52:07

> At 4:26 pm 24/9/96, Peter Seebach wrote:
> >This is mildly atopical, but how would I decide how much to offer on
> >old Sun hardware?  Is there a pricing guide I've missed?
> >I'm looking at getting some additional sun 3 hardware (and
> >a couple of SLC's)...
>
> I think it's off-topic, rather than atopical, but let's not quibble.
>
> I wouldn't go above $75 for a 3/60 with Colour Monitor (less if it has no
> RAM), less if it is mone.  A 3/50 - around $30?  Maybe $20 without monitor
> or $40 with - these machines require a fair degree of technical expertise
> to earn their keep (XKernels are your best bet).  I'm not entirely sure
> what I'd give for the more powerful Sun3s - I don't think I'd go over $100
> for any, myself.

the 16" sony color monitor you might be able to get with a 3/60 is probably
worth a couple hundred alone in good condition.. all you need is an
RGBS to modern Sun connector to make it run. 'course if you can't
reuse the monitor elsewhere the the sun3 dies it's not worth much.
The machine itself with little memory, though, I'd have to agree.
3/50's don't take memory upgrades without third party hardware so
they're pretty much worthless. I use one for a low impact web server
with an external drive, but it's not good for much else.

	-Ethan