Subject: make weirdness?
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@OG.ORG>
List: port-sun3
Date: 09/12/1996 09:07:53
Hi folks...

Building the world on my sun3; something I haven't done for a while :-)

I keep getting this:

ovation (thorpej) /usr/src/sbin 128% make obj
"Makefile", line 34: Missing dependency operator
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
ovation (thorpej) /usr/src/sbin 129%

This is the bone-stock Makefile for that directory; the line it craps out
on is:

      (${MACHINE} == "sparc")

...which is a continuation of the previous line...

If I replace the spaces with a <tab>, I get:

ovation (thorpej) /usr/src/sbin 129% make obj
"Makefile", line 34: Unassociated shell command "(${MACHINE} == "spar"
Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
ovation (thorpej) /usr/src/sbin 130%

Since it doesn't seem to read the complete line, it seems as if
somthing's fishy... Also, if I setenv MACHINE to something else (like,
say, "amiga"), it works, because it doesn't reach the last case of the .if.

Appending the continuation to the previous line (removing the '\')
works.

Before I dive into make(1) (something I'd much rather leave to the make
expert; HI CHRISTOS! :-), I'd like to know:

	a) Has anyone else experienced this?

	b) Have aliens invaded my 3/60?

Thanks, folks.

Ciao.

Jason R. Thorpe                                             thorpej@OG.ORG

          Just me and my collection of obsolete computer gear(s).