Subject: Re: Problems with fonts on the X server.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: A.Arnold <arnold@zam331.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/31/1996 08:17:40

>I think you need a kernel compiled with "options UCONSOLE" in your config
>for xconsole to work.
>
>Jon

Unfortunately, I do not have enough disk space on my 3/60 to do a kernel re-
compile, so this isn't an option for me :-( .  I really would like to do this,
as the missing shared memory support also annoys me....

Instead, I took the xconsole sources from the X11R6 distribution and looked
a bit into them.  The problem seems to be the way xconsole checks if it has
access to /dev/console:

- xconsole's *REAL* user id must be equal to the owner's id of /dev/console
- xconsole checks /dev/console's permissions with the access() function.  This
  function also uses the real user id...

I solved the first item by changing the getuid() call to geteuid(), removed the
second check and chmod'ed xconsole to 4755.  This works now for me...

Alfred Arnold

Alfred Arnold                                 Phone: +49 (2461) 61-2434
Zentralinstitut fuer Angewandte Mathematik    Fax  : +49 (2461) 61-6656
Forschungszentrum Juelich                     E-Mail: a.arnold@kfa-juelich.de
D-52425 Juelich, Germany

Why use Windows, since there is a door?