Subject: Re: What's this about overclocking?
To: None <naamato@merit.edu>
From: Rahim Azizarab <ray@tezcat.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 07/20/1996 11:53:41
On Tue, 16 Jul 1996 naamato@merit.edu wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:08:18 -0400 (EDT)
> From: naamato@merit.edu
> To: port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: What's this about overclocking?
>

> > I happened to pullout a 30 MHZ crystall out of a pc board, and got this
> > sudden urge to try it on my sun 3/50  at 4:00 am.  Well, it works like a
>
> This isn't the first time I've heard of overclocking the sun3/m68020 boxes.
> What's the scoop on this?  I've got a stack of 3/60's and I'd be interested
> in a FAQ or something about overclocking these.
>

> Nick
> naamato@merit.edu

Well, you need to replace the two legged chrystal. It is a good idea to
use a heat sink and fan.  Heat is the primary cause of failure on most
electronic components.  On a 3/60 near the memory jumpers there is 4 big
soldered holes that One could draw power for the CPU fan.  It might even
be a good idea to drill some holes on the cover case for better venhilation.
If properly heat sinked a 3/60 should be able to go 60 MHZ.

Happy Hacking.....

     .--.  __  .---------     Rahim Azizarab
    / /  \(  )/   ----        1925 S. 3rd Ave
   ////  ' \/ ` ---           Maywood,  IL  60153
  // / / :    :--             708-344-6994
       =UU====UU=             ray@tezcat.com
                              http://www.tezcat.com/users/ray