Subject: Re: Sun 3/50 Networking Problems
To: None <curt@portal.ca>
From: Mark W. Eichin <eichin@kitten.gen.ma.us>
List: port-sun3
Date: 12/18/1995 13:54:19
>And while I'm here, how well does the Sun3 port work on machines
>with 4MB of RAM? It sounds a bit painful to me. Is there any easy
>(and cheap!) way to upgrade a Sun 3/50 to 8MB or 12 MB of RAM?

Rather painful if running completely diskless... not unusable (until
you exceed available swap, at which point it hangs instead of crashing
things.) Note that the 3/50 has no socketed RAM (all RAM is on chips
soldered to the board) but there was a third party upgrade that
plugged into under some socketed chip on the cpu part of the board
(near the ethernet controller, so I'm told, I haven't actually seen
one.)

Still, with the Xkernel kit they make nice X-terminals, even with no
swap at all... I'm hoping to make up a netbsd-based xkernel kit, which
would have some interesting advantages over the sunos-based one, but
it won't happen in what's left of this year :-)

						_Mark_