Subject: Serial ports on 3/50
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/21/1995 01:16:27
gwr helped me solve my earlier problem--thanks so much! My 3/50 is
now happily NetBSDed and is connected to the thinnet running through
my room, and is running X.

Only problem now is that I can't connect my modem to the serial ports.
I've tested it with a null modem and a dumb terminal, and that works
perfectly--but as soon as I connect the modem to it, it stops
working. The modem works perfectly with the same dumb terminal.

The symptom is that cu connects, but when I type anything, it says:
cu: write: Input/output error
Disconnected.
If I do an "echo ath1 > /dev/ttya" or an "stty all < /dev/ttya" (to
check the tty settings), it just hangs and I have to kill the
process.

I suspect that it has to do with some signal that the modem is
asserting that the sun doesn't like, but that the terminal (a
TeleVideo 970) doesn't care about... the modem is in fact a US
Robotics Sportster 14400 Mac&Fax, so maybe Macs take weird serial
signals or something? It has a regular DB25 on the back, and it
works great with the dumb terminal, so it's probably something
simple like DTR...

Thanks a lot!!
--
____  -Ben Cottrell (home page http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~benco/)
\  / Geek 3.0: GCS(M) dpu s:+ a15 C++++ UB++++ P++ L- E+ W++ N++ K+ w-- O++