Subject: Re: Help on installing?
To: None <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/19/1995 17:43:21
> Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 14:04:59 -0700
> From: Ben Cottrell <benco@ucsee.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
>
> I got my 230 meg SCSI2 disk labeled, got the tar files untarred onto
> the partitions, and got everything cool and froody... but it won't boot.
>
> If the disk is on scsi id 4 (where it was when I took it out of where it
> was) it plain refuses to find the device when I b sd(0,4,0)... if it's
> on scsi id 0, it finds the disk, spins its ascii spinner for a while,
> then says "Address fetch error at PC" and then a hex string.

Sun boot PROMs need the disk ID to be: 0,1,2,3

[ Various attempts to install a boot block... ]

> Kirk, however, says that NetBSD installboot doesn't know how to change
> the offset in bootxx so that it'll find /boot, and that maybe (he isn't
> sure, and I'm not either) if the installation instructions say SunOS,
> they really mean SunOS, and only SunOS. I'm skeptical.
>
> Can you throw some light on this?

Well, I'm not sure what Kirk is talking about either...  Unless
he means the disk partition offset, but the PROM handles that.

First of all, the NetBSD/sun3 port no longer needs SunOS.
The NetBSD installboot is designed to run on NetBSD and
only works with the /usr/mdec/bootxx from NetBSD/sun3.

There are now the makings for a boot tape, so you might
try getting the files for that and using it to bootstrap.
The files can be found on:
	ftp.mc.com  /pub/gwr

Gordon Ross