Subject: Re: Xterm problem
To: Neal Harvey <nealh@aisb.ed.ac.uk>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/16/1995 10:57:57
On Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:08:21 +0000
 Neal Harvey <nealh@aisb.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

 > The system is an 8mb 3/60 with a CG4, netbooting from a 486 running
 > FreeBSD-2.0.5-RELEASE, with all storage on NFS. In every other
 > respect it ticks along quite happily, it just won't run Xterm.
 >
 > If someone out there could enlighten me, I'd be exceedingly grateful,

>From the symptoms you describe, is sounds like is losing during an NFS
swap transaction.  I had this problem on a 3/50 until I added some local
disk, and *poof* problem went away.

I've suspected for a long time that wierd wedges I've seen on diskless
Suns were due to a packet or two getting dropped during an NFS swap
transaction, but I've been unable to produce this "hanging" effect on any
of my diskless hp300s.  Though, it might be worth noting, my hp300s have
much newer LANCE chips in them than most Sun 3 systems...