Subject: Xterm problem
To: None <nealh@aisb.ed.ac.uk>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/16/1995 13:31:06
> Date: Mon, 16 Oct 1995 17:08:21 +0000
> From: Neal Harvey <nealh@aisb.ed.ac.uk>

> My 3/60 is currently refusing to run Xterm. X starts up, the window
> manager runs, the xclock runs, I can change the backgrounds and so
> on. It appears that the only thing it won't do is run Xterm. If
> I attempt to start one it thinks for a bit then dumps core,
> occasionally shutting down the server and even declaring a
> segmentation fault now and again.

How are the X clients finding their shared libraries?
The xterm client is suid root, so if you use the environment
variables to modify the ld.so path, xterm will not work.
(The recommended way is to run "ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib")

If there is some other issue, it might help to run gdb:
	gdb xterm xterm.core
and see if that provides any clues.

Gordon Ross