Subject: Re: Xwindows help
To: Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk>
From: J.T. Conklin <jtc@cygnus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 10/06/1995 18:04:53
>>>>> "Julian" == Julian Bean <jelibean@jmlbhome.demon.co.uk> writes:
Julian> I got my Sun3 booting off SCSI yesterday evening, and played
Julian> with it extensively today.  It is S...L..O..W...

I've been using my 3/60 with a SCSI disk for about 2 months; before
that I was using it diskless.  So to me SCSI speed is reasonable.

Julian> Like in X, for example, it takes seconds for the machine to
Julian> notice a cursor movement.  Typing a key causes disk access,
Julian> [ ... ]

I haven't experienced that.  In fact, I brought my machine into work
about 6 weeks ago and have been using it as my workstation.  I run
emacs, do compiles, have 5+ local xterms, etc. and don't have
significant slowdown problems.

Julian> I am guessing that this is swapfile access mainly (I have 16M
Julian> swap on the disk), and that it is slow because of the
Julian> oft-lamented SCSI driver.Is this right?

How much real memory do you have?  If you have too little, that could
make a real difference.  I have 16MB now, but I'm planning on
upgrading it to 24MB soon.

	--jtc