Subject: NMI Interrupt? How rude!
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott J. Ellentuch <tuc@valhalla.stormking.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/26/1995 11:32:30
Hello,

	Well, I finally got the replacement memory for my 3/50 and installed
it last night. (Brought it from 8 to 12 M).  I re-configured the NVRAM
to understand there was 12M and attempted to boot an even newer kernel
(Watch out for me now, I'll be making 10-12 new versions a day....NOT).

	The newer kernel got to the point where it says :

Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.

and a second or two later spit out "nmi interrupt received" and just sat
there.  Ok, I figured, I screwed up.  So, I booted the previous kernel I
compiled. (Listen, I'm not THAT dumb.  On my Linux system I keep 3
kernels.... Old, Current and Test.  When Test is good I move it to current...
You get the picture).  I booted that, got the to point where it says :

Automatic boot in progress: starting file system checks.

and a second or two later spit out "nmi interrupt received" and just sat
there.  Hmm, this isn't going well.  I decided to fall back totally
to the netbsd-gen kernel from gwr, and .... same thing... (Except his fell
into DDB)

	Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say "Gee, the memory is
probably bad".... But if it passes the mem test, what would cause it to fail
in the same place each time?

			Tuc
--
* ---   ---  |Scott J. Ellentuch, Pres  | The Telecom Security Group       *
*  | |  |    |Comm. and Comp. Security  | (Storm King family of Companies) *