Subject: Xserver SUID root? or restrict /dev/kbd?
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/10/1995 12:01:00
> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 21:51:41 -0400
> From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou@balvenie.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>

> something like the SunOS 'fbtab' functionality (though a bit more
> general) would probably be a useful thing, for NetBSD in general...
>
> i'm not volunteering to write it, though...  8-)
>
> chris

What do you think of the idea of making /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse
require the same session as /dev/kb (console keyboard/display)?
I tried out changes to do that and it's pretty easy.
(change posted in a previous message)

I'm not sure what's best:
(1) make the Xserver SUID root and all the devices 0600
(2) make getty fix up related devices based on /dev/fbtab
(3) require root or same session as /dev/kb
(4) require root or same UID as session on /dev/kb

Would anyone like to offer arguments for any particular way?

Gordon