Subject: Some Questions
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Koch <koch@dfki.uni-kl.de>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/10/1995 13:09:05
Hi!

First of all, i'd like to thank you for NetBSD. Especially
for the Sun3 port.

I have some questions:

#1: Is DMA working now (Ethernet and/or SCSI)?
    The last time, i ran NetBSD, its performance was worse than
    bad, because it did no DMA at all!

#2: Does NetBSD support the old VMEbus Sun2 SCSI controller (sc0)?
    I have two of them and since they are plugged into the servers,
    i cannot run these without them.

#3: I have two Ciprico Rimfire SMD disk controllers and two still
    working SMD disks. I don't want to trash them, because they
    are so damn fast. Ciprico sold the Rimfire with device drivers
    for SunOS 4.1 in source! Is it very difficult to port device
    drivers from SunOS to NetBSD???

#4: What's about Xylogics 451 or 7051?
    I have two (currently unused) xy451 and the Rimfire does have
    a xy emulation (for easy booting), which is usable (but somewhat
    slow).

#5: What is so difficult about the Sun3x (3/80, 3/470)?
    I'd think, a mixture of the HP-300 and Sun3 code should work!
    I have a 3/80 and a 3/470 and these are great machines.
    Especially the 3/470 is superbe.

Bye

Peter