Subject: Re: Keyboard problems.
To: None <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/10/1995 04:16:21
> Yes, that happens on my Sun, as well. Other problems: I occasionaly get
> a bell (^G) that doesn't want to stop. At this point, X seems to die because
> messages are suddenly displayed on the console, in stead of the Xconsole
> window, messing up the X-display. Xdm then takes charge and restarts the
> server etc. (keyboard still beeping), and after a while I can login again,
> and then make the new xterm go beep, which finaly silences the keyboard.
> But on other occasions, the same symptom (beeping) leads to a comlete
> hang-up of the machine and I have to cylce the power.

I haven't tried X on my sun3s yet, but I have actually seen exactly
this behavior on a sparc running NetBSD.  Wierd.  (It's never locked
the machine completely, though.  Xdm always restarts the server for
me.  I also usually pull the keyboard cable from the type 4 keyboard
and plug it back in to cause a keyboard reset, to kill the beep before
I wake up a housemate.)

- Geoff