Subject: Xserver and Unsupported keyboard type: Solved!
To: None <jtc@cygnus.com>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/09/1995 14:47:48
> Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 10:34:27 -0700
>
> I solved my Unsupported keyboard type problem last night.  The
> permissions on /dev/kbd were too restrictive for the Xserver to open
> read/write.  The -current MAKEDEV script changes the mode of /dev/kbd
> to 0666, which allowed the X server to start.

Ah!  Interesting.

> But I wonder if wide open permissions are wise.  Can't the proverbial
> "bad guy" open up /dev/kbd and intercept keystrokes?

I guess we could make /dev/kbd and /dev/mouse (0600 root) and
make the X server SUID root.  The only problem is, I'm not sure
the X server is designed for SUID root use, so one could end up
opening an even larger security hole...

Is there any way to make the kbd/ms drivers insist on the opening
process having the same UID as the process group in the kd driver?
The device nodes for kbd and ms could stay at 0666 then...

Gordon