Subject: Re: Xserver and Unsupported keyboard type.
To: None <port-sun3@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sun3
Date: 08/09/1995 12:00:07
Hi All,

> > I'm trying to use Gordon's x11r6 port, but am getting an "Unsupported
> > keyboard type -1" error.  I mounted my x11 cdrom, and discovered that
> > that message is printed in sunInit.c when the server fails to
> > determine the keyboard type with the KIOCTYPE ioctl.
> >
> > Has anyone seen this error before?

I have lots of prolems with my keyboard too, not only when running X: I very
often get "/netbsd: zs1b: fifo overrun" (or zs1a), or "mouse input parity or
framing error, or this message for the keyboard. These messages sometimies
just keep flooding the system, making it hard to shutdown and reboot
from the ttya. And usualy rebooting, and even cycling the power, won't
work, it just has to be waited out. :((

> One reason reset could fail is a bad cable. (input only?)

I suspected the cable for some time. But now I'm using another keyboard,
and these problems still keep happening. Could the zs1a/ SCC be a bit worn
out, maybe? Could anyone give me some hints please?

> Or perhaps the driver is buggy...   If the driver does not get
> a "reasonable" keyboard ID, then it could safely assume type 3.
The keyoard is a type 3. but sometimes the keyboard isn't detected by the
kernel, and the system won't even boot.
B.t.w., I'm using the latest inary snapshot.

Keep hacking!
 E=  /// Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl> pe1nut@pi8daz.#twe.nld
    /// A2000HD, AmiTCP_4.0b and GG-II+ ethernet   QRV 145.575 MHz JO32KF
\\\/// "She  looked  like  she'd  had  sex,  with  a  tyrranosaurus  rex"
 \XX/                    Canibal Surf Babe, Afraid of Sunlight, Marillion