Subject: Serial ports - how fast?
To: None <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr@mc.com>
List: port-sun3
Date: 06/16/1995 11:09:24
> From: David Jones <dej@eecg.toronto.edu>
> Date: 	Fri, 16 Jun 1995 10:50:03 -0400

> How fast can the zs ports on a sun3 reasonably go?

They should work fine up to 38.4 though I haven't tried that.
The zs chip has FIFOs (4 chars, I think) and the driver uses a
two-level interrupt handler to reduce input service latency.

> I'm considering getting a V.34 modem, but my Amiga's ports are unreliable
> at 38.4, so much of the power of V.34 will be lost.  I'd like to run at
> least 57.6.  Is doing so on the Sun3 feasible?

The tty port need only go at least as fast as your best character
rate on the phone line, right?  (so 38.4 should be sufficient)

Gordon Ross