Re: Readying a disk for booting NetBSD-5

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 08:22:11PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:

> Different bootloaders use different methods to locate file blocks on disk.
> The 32-bit SPARC port encodes the 2nd level booter's blocks in the
> bootblock as part of installboot.  I think x86 uses a similar method.

i386/amd64 read the filesystem structures.
This makes it much easier to update the boot code (etc).
The code to find the sectors during boot isn't that complex,
although the source code for it is rather overly complex.

        David

--
David Laight: david%l8s.co.uk@localhost