Subject: Re: NetBSD-current disklabel problems
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 07/17/2006 22:31:47
--pgp-sign-Multipart_Mon_Jul_17_22:31:47_2006-1

    dl> We can argue all day as to whether the default for 'stty
    dl> erase' should be backspace or del.

stty erase should be ^? because that's what the vt220 outputs, and
because the ^H convention breaks emacs.  doesn't just inconvenience
emacs---makes it _unuseable with no workaround_.  there is really only
one right answer.

Even if you don't agree with me (and you really should), past unixes
whether broken or correct according to me were at least sorta
consistent, with their keyboards, their text consoles, and their
dtterm/hpterm/sgiterm/whatever under X11.  It was when you telnetted
between broken and correct vendors that you got problems.

It'd be nice if we could arrange that when you boot up a NetBSD CD
with exclusively NetBSD software on it, if people won't agree with me
then at least you should get at least _consistency_: the fat key above
return generates an 'stty erase'.  but with some of sun's silly
keyboard layouts that might not be as easy as it sounds.