Subject: Re: creator3d vs elite3d
To: None <segv@netctl.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/17/2006 09:51:45
--Signature_Fri__17_Feb_2006_09_51_45_-0500_YHXDQXGaeJOWVEGk

Hello,

> Hi, does anyone know if there is much difference in performance for 2D
> applications between creator3d and elite3d frambuffers? I think
> elite3d has extra floating point units for fast 3D rendering, but are
> they used at all for regular desktop applications, like GTK2, etc?

We don't have any docs about the afb's extra bits so we run it like an
ffb ( the only user visible difference is that the afb needs a firmware
image loaded )
I have both, an Elite3D/M3 and a Creator3D ( ffb2+ ) but I'm using the
Creator, mainly because:
- the Elite gets a lot hotter than the Creator
- since we can't use the extra bits that's a waste of energy
- I couldn't see any real performance difference, at least not afb vs.
  ffb2+

If your Creator is an older type, like an ffb1 then the Elite might be
significantly faster and less troublesome but if you already have an
ffb2+ then the Elite won't offer any extra benefit right now.

To get better performance in gtk2 applications you may want to try the
sunffb driver from -current, it uses hardware alpha-blending which
significantly speeds up rendering of anti-aliased text, icons and so on.
It's not really final yet though.

have fun
Michael