Subject: Re: help me choose a sunblade :)
To: Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za>
From: None <segv@netctl.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 02/12/2006 14:09:25
On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 10:00:14 +0200
Michael-John Turner <mj@turner.org.za> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 02:32:03AM +0000, segv@netctl.net wrote:
> > Which OS are you going to run on it? I think you'll struggle to turn NetBSD
> > sparc64 into a reliable desktop system:
>
> Hmm... I disagree - I'm very happy with my sparc64 system. Perhaps my
> requirements are low or unusual though - I run Fluxbox, konqueror (for web
> browsing), akregator (for RSS feeds), xmms, some dockapps and a lot of
> terminal windows running non-X11 applications. All I want is a traditional
> Unix workstation, not something to run all the latest multimedia apps (like
> mplayer, et al).

I don't mean to bash NetBSD, I'm just describing my experience with it on sparc
hardware. I found Solaris to be a lot more reliable. Hopefully issues with
NetBSD like kernel bugs and SMP will be addressed in the future and I'm looking
forward to trying it out.

PS. Not really NetBSD's fault, but running StarOffice and having optimising C
compilers that support OpenMP and Ada compilers on my Sparc workstation, is
something that I really need. I'm not sure there is an Ada compiler for NetBSD
sparc64 port.