Subject: Re: XFree's sunffb
To: Michael Lorenz <macallan@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 10/18/2005 09:57:33
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 08:45:35PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> That's why I asked if the current driver
> should be preserved. In this case we'd have two FFB drivers, one with
> hardware XRender but 32bit only and one with 8 and 24 bit visuals but no
> XRender.

I could live with that *only* if xfree or xorg follow us in this direction
(preferably both).

> Whoever wrote XRender ( and much of XFree86 ) clearly had only PCish
> graphics boards in mind which only offer one colour depth at a time.

Even programs that require 8 bit visuals often don't work out of the box
now, see the recent discussion (and fixing) of xuvmstat. My bet is that
fixing the few offenders is the easiest (and overall best) solution.

Martin