Subject: Re: x86 Port outperforms SPARC64 port on NetBSD v2.0.2
To: Philip Jensen <phil_jensen@yahoo.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 09/30/2005 15:18:01
On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 12:19:20AM +1200, Philip Jensen wrote:
> So should x86 be faster (almost twice as fast) in this instance?
> Does python suck on SPARC64 still due to threading issues?

Of course a 600 MHz processor should outperform a 400 MHz one ;-)

But what you are realy testing here, is the adaption of the python interpreter
to your host system. I have never looked at python, but I suppose there are
no sparc64 specifics in it, while there actually may be i386 assembler stuff
or what have you. Maybe python plays better with little endian machines in
general?

Any 64 bit advantages (if your application might have had) will probably
be lost when using an interpreted language anyway.

Martin
P.S.: if you have reproducable threading problems with pyhton on sparc64,
please file a PR