Subject: Re: Ultra 5 supported hardware ?
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Rafal Boni <rafal@pobox.com>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/23/2004 10:11:24
In message <Pine.NEB.4.58.0401231357390.862@oni.i.purplei.com>, you write:

-> 	Another option might be to buy a pciide controller and have
-> 	a small and large IDE disk. Hook up the large disk to the internal
-> 	controller to install, and then move to the pciide card. Connect the
-> 	small disk with a kernel configured to use the root filesystem from
-> 	wd1. Once the kernel is loaded everything runs on the fast pciide
-> 	card wth UDMA<some large number>. Best to ask on the list for
-> 	good pciide cards for an ultra :)

Silicon Image Sil680 seems to be the trend Matt's started.  Works like
a champ for me.

-> 	If there is ever any problem with the small disk or pciide
-> 	card you can switch the large disk back to the internal card and
-> 	run (albeit more slowly).
->
-> 	For entertainment value do the above but with two disks mirrored
-> 	using RAIDFRAME :)

I've actually done almost this.  Root disk is still the original 8Gig
disk on the internal controller; CDRom and floppy have been removed to
make room for 2 x 120GB IDE drives (one per channel on the SilImg 680
card).  The 120 Gig drives are mirrored using RAIDFrame.  For shits
and giggles (and to make it all fit), I bought one of those removable-
drawer IDE trays, which houses one of the 120GB drives in the bay where
the CD used to be... The other 120GB drive is in the bracket close to
the PS where the 8GB drive originally was and the 8Gig drive has been
moved to where the floppy was.  The hardest bit of all this was routing
the cables; I bought round IDE cables because it was about a 100 times
easier to route those than the ribbon cables.

Just to make things more fun, I ripped out the PCI graphics adapter
which the U5 had when I acquired it, threw in a USB2 PCI card (so far
I've only tried USB 1.x devices like my CF reader, but the card was
$10, so hopefully our USB2 support advances to the point where it's
usable :-)) and a Intel GigE card.  Now I just need to get more memory
than the 128MB the box has :-)

--rafal

----
Rafal Boni                                                     rafal@pobox.com
  We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.  -- Winston Churchill