Subject: AW [2]: example of /etc/XF86Config for Sun Ultra 10 w/creator available?
To: Schwerzmann, Stephan <stephan.schwerzmann@schmid-telecom.ch>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Timo_Sch=F6ler?= <ml@macfinity.net>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 01/09/2004 13:05:39
hi stephan,

> hi timo,
>
>   (not that I'm the expert on this topic...)
>
>   I fear you have only a chance (if any?) of getting X with NetBSD
> running on an U10 by pulling out the Creator board (it's not a PCI
> card, but an UPA, right?)
>   the onboard graphics chip should be one of the ATI Rage xyz series

yes, that's what i think, too. i should have read the sparc64 site
better... but anyway, i guess i'll put that stuff X needs on my SS20MP
-- although it's cgfourteen :)) will only emulate a cgthree :(...

>   that's my understanding of creator related things anyway, I have
> a ('lame' 300MHz, 512kB BSC) U10 w. an UPA graphics board (can't
> precisely Identify the thing) at home but have not thrown NetBSD
> at it (yet)

runs fine. made my dual boot w/Solaris 9.

>   OTOH under Sol9 (and even alone at the firmware text screen) the
> speedup I get out of the creator compared to the onboard ATI Rage
> impressed me

did not try the ATI. AFAIK there also no way to run this machine dual
head (creator, if present, disables ATI Rage?).

>   it would be nice if also X on NetBSD could leverage on this...

perhaps we'll see ;)

--
regards,

timo

If today is the first day of the rest of your life, what the hell was
yesterday?