Subject: Re: Process exiting but still running
To: R. Braun <syn@sceen.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 12/19/2003 10:55:52
On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:30:35PM +0100, R. Braun wrote:
> The processes waste ressources, and mostly cpu time... The only way to get rid
> of them is to reboot... It's not clean at all and should be handled correctly
> everywhere imho.

I have not looked at what realy catches the problem, but I supposed it
would be the

#ifdef DEBUG
	write_user_windows();
#endif

call in syscall(). This is not cheap, and wasting it for every system
call just to catch bogus programs is wrong, IMHO.

We should, however, make sure the exit syscall can succeed even if the return
path to userland is borked, and we should make sure such processes are
killable.

Martin