Subject: Re: libiconv compiling problems
To: Alexander Zich <ads@lazernet.de>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc64
Date: 08/23/2003 16:51:48
On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 06:04:12PM +0200, Alexander Zich wrote:
> I have problems compiling libiconv for sparc64. I have attached the error
> message at the bottom.

You need to be a bit more specific about your system - which NetBSD version
are you using (basically the pkgsrc libiconv is not used on -current any
more), and what compiler ("cc -v" will tell you).

The pkg builds just fine for me on -current using gcc 3.3.1.

> error.c: In function `error':
> error.c:263: argument `message' doesn't match prototype
> error.h:50: prototype declaration

I won't comment on code style. Please check if the configure script found
the vprintf function:

 grep HAVE_VPRINTF work/libiconv-1.9.1/config.h

The problem is the libiconv source code. It selects the prototype in the
header file via

#if defined (__STDC__) && __STDC__

but then selects the implementation based on

#if defined VA_START && __STDC__

where VA_START is defined (beside others) if HAVE_VPRINTF is defined. Of
course this is completly bogus. But this is a pkgsrc problem, not sparc64
specific. The real question is: didn't the configure script find vprintf in
libc and if not why not.