10.0 crashes on leaving X

Hello all,

I am testing 10.0 on an SS10, SMP (2x SM61), TGX+ (4mb) FB.

When the machine is running everything seems fine - nothing bad in dmesg etc.

However upon shutdown - there is a kernel panic and the machine reboots (and has to fsck).

I have tried this with xdm as well as simply startx with the same results.

No idea if this person’s issue is anything related to this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NetBSD/comments/1ad1yzn/netbsd_10_rc3_kernel_panic_after_exiting_xorg/

Obviously apples and oranges.  They were running RC3, and on i386.  But nevertheless - that sums up my experience.

9.3 seems to run fine on this machine - and does not crash when exiting X.

I can try to take a video on shutdown and perhaps we can capture some info to give some clues.  Very difficult to capture this because it’s happening right before power off (assuming shutdown -p).  So nothing is getting logged other than the panic scrolling on the screen before the machine resets.

I also remember a post on port-sparc a ways back talking about fixes/enhancements to X / FB bits on sparc coming in 10 ?  On that note - one thing I notice is that in 9.3 my FB is reported in dmesg as being 2 MB as opposed to 4 MB in 10.0.  My understanding is that the card is 4 MB hardware but the way it’s used it’s 2 MB in practice ? (I’m probably mangling that explanation).  Just caught my eye as a delta from 9.3 vs. 10.0.

Let me know if there’s anything specific I need to try - and if I should open a PR.

Thanks.