Re: Build method

On 11/22/2011 06:01, Greg Troxel wrote:

Alexander Carver<agcarver%acarver.net@localhost>  writes:

Finally got the CVS sources downloaded (58 hours and three restarts later).

I see in the Makefile an target of "sets" which, if I understand the
comments, will make the binary sets for each of the components
normally found on the CD.

Would it work to make these sets then extract only the ones I want
into the root directory and then build the kernel after that?

No, but if you

   build full release

   install kernel

   reboot (unless you are moving from netbsd-5 to newer netbsd-5, in
   which you can probably get away with this)

   unpack sets corresponding to the sets you have installed

   reboot

you should be ok.

See pkgsrc/sysutils/etcmanage and read the included scripts.  Aside from
partial sets (easy to change), they do pretty much what you are looking
for - I wrote them to solve automate building from source and updating.
They are pretty thin wrappers around build.sh and then pax, and
have lots of comments.

I'm trying to figure out how to build the kernel with some options enabled (e.g. PPSAPI) and the various how-to's online don't really discuss modified kernels, just stock. I'm only updating a few minor things (5.1 to 5.1-plus patches). I'll look through the files some more but I don't have a pkgsrc directory in what was downloaded via CVS.