Subject: VM issue
To: port-sparc@netbsd.org <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Laurent FAILLIE <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2006 00:11:48
Hello,

My SS5 @ 110Mhz has only 128 MB and host my web site
(Apache2, Php4, PostgreSQL 7.4). Everything was
running fine under 1.3.6 but it crashed several times
since I've upgraded to 2.0.2 :-(

I made some search and I found this page :
http://www.selonen.org/arto/netbsd/vm_tune.html#setvmlim

and, after a look on my statistics, I guess my
problems come from the poor beaviours of paged :-(

After some activities, the memory still higly used
but, even if the system as nothing to do, paged runs
only when a new activity is requested. As consequence,
if the free memory is very low, I got some processes
eligible to run are swaped :-( And sometime, this
situation causes system hanging.

So, my questions are :
* there is a way to totaly disable disable this kind
of garbage collection. I mean, to have the memory
realy freed when not anymore used ?
* if not, there is a way to force paged to run (i.e.
before I launch memory consuming processes).
* have you any recommendation to help me to solve this
issue that cause outage of my web site for nothing ?

Any help is realy helpfull.

Best regards,

Laurent

The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.