Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 17:35:51
Greywolf said:

>People seem to look at me as though I am nuts when I say that my
>very first computer that I owned was a SS IPX.

You are, but I have 3 of them. I bought them refurbished from onsale.com
back before the days of ebay. They run 1.5.4, 1.6.1, and Solaris 2.6. They
only go down when the power is down long enough for them to drain their UPS
batteries.

The Solaris 2.6 IPX is used as an NFS server for various NetBSD source
trees. It has been beaten for thousands of hours doing builds for other
sun3 and sun4 boxes on my network.

>The IPX and the SS5/20 are, without a doubt, the BEST physical
>engineering feats that Sun has pulled off.  You can even replace the
>floopy with a second HD in the IPX.  I'll give third place to the ELC
>(which was somewhere between a 1+ and a 2).  ELCs made great print
>servers if you added a small disk and booted them from the net.

They all certainly survive better than modern 386 systems. I recently had
an AMD Duron system less than a year old melt down.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com