Subject: Re: Axil 210...
To: Mykel <Mykel@mWare.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/22/2004 22:06:07
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:07:36PM -0400, Mykel wrote:
> I'm starting to think I can't use this piece of hardware for anything :(
> (I was planning on using it as a small IRC node)
>
> NetBSD 1.6.2 starts booting, but then hangs... I'll type up what I get
> on my console (I've already replaced & reprogrammed the IDprom)
>
> [LOGO] HWS-S210, Type 4 Keyboard
> [LOGO] ROM Rev. 2.4, 32MB memory installed, Serial #11189246.
> [LOGO] Ethernet address 8:0:20:aa:bb:fe, Host ID: 55aabbfe.
>

> Rebooting with command: cdrom
> Boot device:  /sbus/esp@0,800000/sd@6,0:c   File and args:
> >> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.12
> >> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Wed Feb 11 07:53:48 UTC 2004)
> Booting netbsd
> 1359808+761892+128036=0x23557c
> OBP version 2, revision 2.4 (plugin rev 2)
>
> And then it just sits there, I've waited about 30 minutes, nada. It
> won't respond to Stop+A, nor will numlock etc... toggle their status.
>
> Is this a piece of supported hardware? Is it worth troubleshooting or
> should I put it out in the trash? (Break my heart!)

It's supported, I have such boxes running:
HWS-S210, No Keyboard
ROM Rev. 2.4, 32 MB memory installed, Serial #16777215.

But I didn't try to boot from CD (netboot to install, then hard drive).
I also use a newer boot loader:
>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.14
>> (autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org, Sat Jun  5 19:19:25 UTC 2004)

At rom prompt, you can try to type "setenv diag-switch? on" then "reset"
to have it run an extended test.

> PS: How do I emulate Stop+A from a serial console? I want my screen back
> on my Ultra2!

You have to send a break. How to send one depends on the terminal you
use.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>