Subject: Re: ZX Frame Buffer and 2.0_BETA
To: Sean Davis , Zach <md@geekport.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/14/2004 00:10:39
> This is forwarded on behalf of a friend [...]

> I recently purchased a ZX frame buffer on eBay, [...]
> I've still got my old 8bit frame buffer, but it sure would be nice to
> have 24bit on the sparc finaly!

ZX, that's the SUNW,leo?  I've got one of those.  I even have a little
doc on the hardware, and someday I intend to make X work on it.

Until someone gets X working on the leo, in my opinion the only usable
24bpp is either with an S24 (which means a SS5) or a cg14 (which means
a 10 or 20).  This is because dumb 24bpp is just too slow, and those
are the only ones that, as far as I know, have support (open-source
support, at least, which is the only kind I care about) for both 8bpp
and 24bpp on the same screen.  If there are any others, I'd love to
hear about them.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign