Subject: booting from other CPUs that the PROM's #0
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/20/2003 22:11:32
Folks,

I've just committed some changes that allows booting from any CPU (if you
have more than one) in the system instead of the usual CPU #0 as numbered
by the system's ROM.

Since this involves running some module specific code, this change has not
been verified on all types of MP systems. Please let me know if something
goes wrong as a result of it.

To force the system to boot from some other CPU, try this after a reset:

	ok <your favourite cpu #> switch-cpu
	ok boot YOURKERNEL

You'll notice that the first cpu to attach in NetBSD is still called `cpu0'
(so much for the instance declaration in the conf file, but we don't have
any locators there anyway), while the others will be configured in the
same order as before.

BTW. `switch-cpu' can also be used after a BREAK or L1-A (unless you have
DDB configured) to examine the CPU's stack trace with `ctrace' command.

But note that this will only work reliably if all CPUs have been properly
stopped by the kernel so that they running PROM code again.

-pk