Subject: Re: netbsd-1-6 branch vs. recent esp(4) fixes....
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/26/2002 01:55:08
[ On Friday, October 25, 2002 at 20:58:02 (-0700), Andrey Petrov wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: netbsd-1-6 branch vs. recent esp(4) fixes....
>
> huh, yeah, there is some difference already between 1.6 and -current.
> Easy way to test the latest esp driver - just build -current or get it
> from recent snapshot.

I'm only working on the netbsd-1-6 branch -- I'm going to keep well away
from -current this go-around and I'll see if that doesn't make tracking
minor releases a bit easier.  There's no point to testing the latest
driver if I can't get it pulled up to, and working in, some upcoming
1.6.x release.

> Next would be: update only lsi64854.c and ncr53c9x*.
> Those files seems to be quite independant from config and other changes.

That's where the chase started.  In order to just jump to the head revs
of those files (and that's indeed what I do want to do) it seems I've
got to pull in the changes Jason made and to do that without hacking out
individual lines I've got to pull in quite a range of stuff.  From a
cursory look at the deltas in those files I'm not even sure there's a
clean set that could pull up just the necessary changes as there are
some intermediate deltas that are not strictly necessary.

If I'm not mistaken there is also an intertwined change, or at least a
change I felt was necessary, in sys/dev/sbus/esp_sbus.c and as a result
that also requires some of the changes Jason has made back in August.

It would probably be easier to be sure I've got everything pulled up if
I went back into the source-changes archives and found the full list of
files that were changed since obviously I'm now to a point where it
compiles but just doesn't quite work properly.

--
								Greg A. Woods