Subject: Re: POSIX threads & NetBSD 1.6?
To: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
From: Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/16/2002 00:05:43
--RASg3xLB4tUQ4RcS

hi brad,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:51:59PM +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
>=20
> What about programs from other people that may be dependant on things
> that have installed themselves in /usr/pkg?  Does the C compiler
> automatically stick /usr/pkg/include into the path of directories to
> be searched for header files?  Does the linker automatically stick
> /usr/pkg/lib into the path of directories to be searched for
> libraries?

linker doesn't stick it automatically, you need to add them to Makefile.
either with CFLAGS and LDFLAGS (-I/usr/pkg/include and -L/usr/pkg/lib
respectively or even -R/usr/pkg/lib to hardcode this search path into
the binaries as pkgsrc does.  see ld(1) and gcc(1) manpages for more
details) to the environment on command line for make or configure
commands  or by patching Makefile or configure directly.  that's exactly
what pkgsrc mechanism does for you.  if you don't understand why is this
good for you then you probably don't need that and just set LOCALBASE to
/usr/local which is probably more comfortable for you.

i like to keep my system clean so it's a good thing that packages which
are installed from pkgsrc are in one place and don't mess up with
locally installed packages (which i happily narrowed to absolute minimum
of two packages, which have local patches so then can't be submitted to
pkgsrc, and few small scripts).

regards,

--=20
-- Lubomir Sedlacik <salo@Xtrmntr.org>   ASCII Ribbon campaign against  /"\=