Subject: Re: Upgrading from 1.5.2 to -current?
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2002 12:01:32
At 7:57 PM -0400 2002/04/21, Geoff Adams wrote:

>  Yes, this is a known issue. Take a look at the file "UPDATING" in
>  the src directory. There are several things in that file that
>  you'll need to do in order to update your system. In the entry
>  dated "20010226," you'll find instructions for adding the named
>  user, which is now required.

	I thought I had looked at the "UPDATING" file, and did not see
anything relevant.  I must have missed this.  Thanks!

>  I would read through that file if you haven't already. You can
>  also take the trial-and-error approach (many of us do) -- try
>  to build; if it fails, look the failure up in "UPDATING" and
>  fix it; repeat.

	I will definitely read that file very closely before I attempt to
do anything else on the system.

>  Looking back through the thread, I don't see anyone having given
>  you the standard suggestion of starting by downloading the latest
>  -current snapshot and installing that, and then updating from
>  there.

	Actually, I think that Manuel did suggest this course of action
(based on his understanding of something else), but then quickly
withdrew this recommendation (IIRC, because he felt that he had
misunderstood the situation).

	To be honest, if someone could point me at documentation on how
to install the latest -CURRENT snapshot, I'd be perfectly happy doing
that.  At least I wouldn't have to build and install all the programs
from source.  My only concern would be to get a suitable set of boot
floppies.  I've got a few things that I had downloaded and installed
on the system, but I'll gladly blow them away (and everything else on
the machine), if that gets me a usable hme/qfe interface sooner --
and, more importantly, gets me out of this "upgrade" mess that I seem
to have found myself in.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>