Subject: Re: SPARCclassic "AUI" pinout
To: Port-SPARC <Port-SPARC@netbsd.org>
From: Don Yuniskis <auryn@gci-net.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/04/2001 12:40:34
Greetings!

>>   |      Does anyone know the pinout of the network connector
>>   | on the classic (*not* the RJ45)?  Or, have a mating
>>   | transceiver that can be examined to deduce same?
>>
>> The answer to that was just provided -
>No, not yet.
>
>Some people seem to completly ignore the fact that the Classic (and LX/ZX)
>do *NOT* have a standard AUI Connector (DSub-15).

*Exactly*!

>The Classic does have a 26 pin Mini-DSub connector that look similar to the
>usual SCSI-2 connectors. (On the LX-Type machines this connector is also
>used to connect the external speakerbox to the SPARCstation).

Are the audio signals *only* present on this connector for the LX?
I.e. the Classic has a pair of mini-phone-plug connectors for the audio
so are these signals omitted from the "AUI" connector?

>> but why would you want to know?
>> Unless you're planning on building your own transceiver, the pinout of
>Or to make a cable to connect a normal transceiver...

Ah, I was just planning on amputating the existing transceiver
connector -- less work!  :>

>> that particular connector is basically useless.  AUI connector pinouts
>> (as distinct from the mounting brackets) are one of the more precisely
>> standardised interfaces around - any 10Mbit/sec transceiver ever made
>> (for 10base5, 10bse2, 10baseT, 10baseFL - maybe others) will connect,
>Oh really? Try to connect them to thos old Apple MACs (with AAUI) or
>SPARCstation Classic [X] or LX...

Exactly.

>> directly, or via an AUI cable, to that connector - nothing else will,
>> nor would it be sensible to try connecting anything else.
>
>BTW: You'll find the Pinout in the SPARCclassic/SPARCclassix X/SPARCstation
LX
>Service Manual on docs.sun.com:
>http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.208.1/SMCLASSIC/@Ab2PageView/idmatch(Z4000A
2D32FF)?DwebQuery=SPARCStation&Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1#Z4000A2D32FF

EXCELLENT!  (though I usually have problems accessing the sun site... :<)

Thanks!!
--don