Subject: Re: netbsd: ms0: input error (0x3447)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Paul \(NCC/CS\) <pts@bom.gov.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/03/2001 00:42:17
der Mouse wrote:

> > this is another post on this error message that I get on my
> > sparcstation 2:
>
> > netbsd: ms0: input error (0x3447)
>
> UTSL.
>
> This - at least in the source I have handy - comes from
> ms_zs_softint(), in sys/dev/sun/ms_zs.c:
>
>         get = ms->ms_rbget;
>         while (get != ms->ms_rbput) {
>                 ring_data = ms->ms_rbuf[get];
>                 get = (get + 1) & MS_RX_RING_MASK;
>
>                 /* low byte of ring_data is rr1 */
>                 c = (ring_data >> 8) & 0xff;
>
>                 if (ring_data & ZSRR1_DO)
>                         intr_flags |= INTR_RX_OVERRUN;
>                 if (ring_data & (ZSRR1_FE | ZSRR1_PE)) {
>                         log(LOG_ERR, "%s: input error (0x%x)\n",
>                                 ms->ms_dev.dv_xname, ring_data);
>                         c = -1; /* signal input error */
>                 }
>
>                 /* Pass this up to the "middle" layer. */
>                 ms_input(ms, c);
>         }
>
> 0x47 has ZSRR1_FE but not ZSRR1_PE set; the host is seeing a framing
> error from the mouse.  Normally I'd guess this means that the sending
> and receiving baudrates are mismatched; this seems unlikely with a
> mouse.  It can also mean there's noise on the line; this too seems
> unlikely, unless perhaps a wire has flexed too much and is making and
> breaking contact as you move the mouse.
>
> > [A]fter the machine has been up for some time the error disappears.
>
> That is very peculiar.  It seems to point to something thermal, but I
> have trouble imagining what.
>
> Have you tried a different mouse?  If you can, that's one of the first
> things I'd try.

Thankyou very much for this. I have tried another optical mouse
and it was the same. Heat/warm up was a false alarm also as it's
still happening hours later.

I'll try this code as a patch and rebuild my kernel.
I think this is what you are suggesting yes?

Thanks again,
Paul.

> /~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
> \ / Ribbon Campaign
>  X  Against HTML               mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca
> / \ Email!           7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B

Paul         (pts@bom.gov.au)
National Climate Centre
Australian Bureau Of Meteorology