Subject: ok, so what's with this hard-coded KMEMPAGES on sparc?
To: NetBSD/sparc Discussion List <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/20/2001 23:56:10
OK, so I get "panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map" while building
mozilla and I try futzing with KMEMPAGES, first by adjusting
KMEMPAGES_MAX up to 64MB worth, then 32MB worth, then 16MB worth, then
7MB worth, then to just 2000 even (the default of 6MB is of course just
1536).  Nothing works but exactly 6MB worth -- it doesn't seem to be an
adjustable option on NetBSD/sparc right now!

Any attempt to increase KMEMPAGES causes things to die immediately
before, or maybe it's just after, the boot loader gets the last of
things loaded up....

	Axil-320 (1 X 390Z55), No Keyboard
	ROM Rev. 2.19, 288 MB memory installed, Serial #9902402.
	Ethernet address 0:0:3b:80:3c:56, Host ID: 72971942.

	Rebooting with command:
	Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@0,0  File and args: netbsd
	>> NetBSD/sparc Secondary Boot, Revision 1.9
	>> (woods@sometimes, Tue Mar 27 17:22:23 EST 2001)
	Booting netbsd
	2578629+90240+799880 [68+157936Trap # 9 sfsr 327 sfar 28
	Data Access Exception
	Type  help  for more information
	ok

Eight kernels later and I'm back to where I started (though this time
I've trimmed extra divers and stuff I don't need out and tuned other
things to more reasonable values for this reasonably well endowed
machine).

So I looked for PRs.  I found someone saying that it's fine to increase
KMEMPAGES_MAX to 12MB worth on sparc64.  I look at the cvs log for
sparc/pmap.c and see some improvements since my source tree's cut-off
date of 2001/06/24 so I try that, but it doesn't help either.  I'm
updating all the rest of the sys/arch/sparc files and will give it one
more try once this recompile finishes, but I'm no longer holding my
breath....

--
							Greg A. Woods