Subject: Re: good framebuffer suggestion.
To: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@entropy.tmok.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/22/2001 07:20:39
Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk drunkenly mumbled...
> Hi,
>
> I'm fed up with the slooowness of the cg3 in my SPARCclassic.
> Is there anything that works (most important) that is
> accelerated, relatively cheap and will fit in that box
> without too much hassle?  Playability in Xpilot is the
> main requirement ;)

it depends what your needs are.  does it _have_ to run netbsd?  do you want
24-bpp or is 8-bpp fine?  for 24-bpp i'd recommend the RasterFlex-32 however
it's not supported by NetBSD AFAIK.  if you only need 8-bpp a TurboGX or a
TurboGX+ will do you wonders.  i ran a TurboGX on my sparc5 for years and it
was plenty fast.  i also had an LX with a second TGX card in at it a place i
worked at a couple of years ago, and even having to manage two frambuffers and
the machine only had a small amount of system ram, it ran like a champ.  never
noticed anything about the speed that annoyed me.  for 8-bpp the TGX rules.

> - Chris (who just entered to world of X at last - no
> less than 10 years too late...)

it's never to late.  besides, you probably aren't as baffled by that obnoxious
GUI that M$ uses, i can barely use it since it doesn't work like X, the GUI
i've been using my entire life.

-brian